Arthur L. Bryant was born in Georgia and attended school in Chattanooga, Tennessee. In 1922 he moved to Cleveland and opened his first barber shop at 9402 Cedar Avenue. When the business needed room to expand, Bryant moved in 1934 to 9808 Cedar, where it shared an entryway with the adjacent Lucky Bar. In addition to haircuts, Bryant’s offered manicures and shoe shines.
Additional information coming soon.
Green Book Details
Bryant’s appears in the Green Book from 1946-1955 at 9808 Cedar Ave. under the category Barber Shops.
- “Bryant’s Barber Shop…” Call & Post. May 11, 1946.
- Mills, Quincy T. Cutting Along the Color Line: Black Barbers and Barber Shops in America. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2013.
- “Moves Shop to New Location.” Call & Post. Feb. 3, 1934.