Miscellaneous Services

Whelton Drug Co.

Whelton Drug Co. is located at the corner of Edgewood Avenue and Wooster Avenue (now known as Vernon Odom Boulevard). The original building has since been demolished. No information regarding when this occurred was found. Edgewood Village, a property of the Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority, now occupies the former site of the Whelton Drug Co. The store was owned by William and Dorothy Whelton, who appear to have owned four drugstores throughout Akron. This specific Whelton Drug Co. was incorporated in 1931. There is at least one instance of a failed robbery associated with this site. Additionally, the drugstore seems to have been quite active in the community.

Location of Whelton Drug Co. (circled in red) | Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Akron, 1930-1940 : Vol. 1, 1940
Children at Whelton Drug Co. receiving toys and souvenirs that the store handed out over a one-week period for free | Akronite, June 22, 1963

Resources

  • “Frustrates Effort to Rob Drug Store.” Akron Beacon Journal. January 14, 1932.
  • “Whelton Drug Co. is Incorporated.” Akron Beacon Journal. January 2, 1931.
  • “Whelton Drug Co. Delights Children.” Akronite. June 22, 1963.
  • Akron City Directory. Akron: A. Kingsberry, 1940.
  • Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Akron, 1930-1940. Vol. 1, 1940.
  • Photo. Akronite. June 22, 1963.
469 Wooster Ave, Akron, OH. Wooster Ave. is now Vernon Odom Blvd.