Mrs. G. W. Turner Beauty Culturist

Mrs. G. W. Turner was a beauty culturist and prominent businesswoman in Akron whose business was located at 301 Scott Avenue. It is not clear if 301 Scott Avenue was a rooming house or a single dwelling, but others are listed as living at the address in the early 1920s. She was briefly mentioned as being significant to the local culture of Akron as a female entrepreneur in Dr. Shirla McClain’s dissertation, “The Contributions of Blacks in Akron, 1825-1975.” However, her specific contributions were not elaborated upon. Turner does not appear after 1922 in local directories.

Mrs. Turner’s shop was located at 301 Scott Avenue, near the corner of Berg.

Resources

  • Akron Negro Directory. 1922.
  • McClain, Shirla. “The Contributions of Blacks in Akron, 1825-1975.” Ph.D. diss., University of Akron, 1975. 
Original location of 301 Scott Avenue. Mills Avenue became Scott Avenue between 1916 and 1940. Scott later erased as the University of Akron expanded.